Tuesday, March 07, 2006



Tuesday, March 7, 2006

Hello everyone! I have just started the next part of my medical mission and wanted to give everyone an update. I arrived in Monrovia, Liberia and boarded the Anastasis Mercy Ship last Wednesday. Mercy Ships is a non-profit Christian organization who utilizes 400 volunteers from 33 different countries (at present) to carry out surgical procedures in third world areas. Monrovia and most of Liberia has no electricity or running water, and very limited immediate healthcare. Therefore, the majority of those treated have not only come from far and wide, but have likely had their injury or deformity for many years.

The first couple of days were pretty rough after 20 hours of traveling followed by multiple days of orientation and figuring out how to navigate around the ship. It is thankfully air-conditioned, but 80% of the air is re-circulated air, so we are all sharing germs constantly. I was pretty sick the first 2 days and even missed my first day of work! The ship was built in 1953 and was originally used as a cruiseliner, so the fact that they have turned it into a floating hospital is pretty amazing. The unfortunate thing is that it isn't ideal housing- at least not for those who have recently joined the ship. I hear you move up in rank and get a better room as others leave and you've been here a while. Right now, I share a room with 3 other girls- about 125 sq feet with bunk beds and just about enough room for all four of us to stand at the same time, but not walk around. We share a bathroom and shower with about 25 other people. Of course, the bathroom is for liquids only, so if you need to deposit something other than liquids, you have to get fully dressed and walk about 5 minutes down the ship. Needless to say, its been a challenge, but I'm getting used to it quickly.
Right now, the current project is plastic surgery. We have 2 surgeons here, one from South Africa and one from Canada, who are both doing burn contracture releases, debulking of neurofibromas (making facial tumors smaller), and hand reconstructions on leprosy patients. I have gotten to assist with dressing changes, have begun therapy on several of them, and am also starting to sort supplies that have been donated.
I'll continue to add to this when I can and promise to add pictures when I get a chance also. Hope all is well in the states. Miss you all...

For those of you who need a reminder of where Liberia actually is (as I did initially!) look at the western tip of Africa...

No comments: