Things have been really busy this week with plastic surgeries. I have a full day of patients right now that I see in the nurse's ward. There is no space for an actual therapy room, so I use the ICU to treat my patients. There are 2 beds there and it is only when general surgeries are being done that it is used often. The majority of my patients are children with burn contractures from fire, hot water, or acid being poured over them in abuse situations. I have been able to make many splints and luckily have a large amount of really nice donated fiberglass which is very user-friendly.
I have viewed several surgeries this week with Dr. Tertius Venter from South Africa and Dr. Guido Koehler from Germany. As in most operating rooms, there is always music playing- sometimes soothing jazz, sometimes classical, and alot of praise and worship here. The German doctor brought his own mix of country, rock, folk, and actually bluegrass which shocked me! I had to laugh yesterday when I was observing a surgery with those 2 surgeons, an anesthesiologist from Scotland, and 2 nurses (one from Sweden and one from New Zealand) and "She thinks my tractor's sexy" began playing. Who would've thought I'd hear top 40 country music so far from home? - only in Liberia... I think God was watching over that case just shaking his head and smiling...
1 comment:
Well, well. I see that you are catching up. Thanks for the call the other day. I really didn't expect it at all. Nice surprise.
Everything is fine, Maricel and the kids fine. We are anxiously awaiting S U M M E R ! ! ! Today is just freezing. Enjoy your stay and please keep those comments coming in. I love it that you are experiencing the real world!
Besos.
Luis.
Post a Comment