Finally the internet is back up! Unfortunately i am not able to load any pictures right now for some reason. I spent last weekend off the ship for the most part which was great! Sometimes, when you don't leave the ship or port area for a few days, it's easy to forget you are in Liberia. A small group of us took one of the Land Rovers (not as fancy as it sounds!) to a place called Secret Beach on Saturday. Since I forgot that the Doxycycline I'm taking for malaria causes increased sun sensitivity for some people, I got a nasty burn, but had a really fun day playing in the surf. Its about 90 degrees here at 2 in the afternoon but cools off to 80 or so in the morning with 85% humidity. The sun is strong too, as we are only 10 degrees north of the equator. Luckily, there were small huts built by the locals for shade. There were about 4 little boys standing around at all times hoping for hand-outs of food or money. Its funny... when you hand them one dollar, they say "NO, five." They are really never satisfied. The average working person in this city makes around 2 US dollars a day. With a more than 80% unemployment rate, I guess they will try to make money however they can.
I have once again been sick for the past 2 days. There is a stomach virus going around "the hole" that I live in and I have been vomiting like it's in-style for 48 hours now. When one person gets it, we all end up sharing the germs and my immune system has really been freaking out since I've been here. Its not fun to be sick anywhere, but its really not fun to be sick here! Thank God for the Sprite Zero that just came on the last cargo ship...
Hope everyone is well- more later when I can attach pictures!
No comments:
Post a Comment