Saturday, April 18, 2009



There are some definitely some jobs onboard this ship that are less desirable than others.  I'm not sure if  Mike Rowe would think it worthy of appearing on Discovery, but the dirty job I assisted with last week deserves a nomination in my mind.  When the air conditioning starts to turn a little warm, it usually means that the intakes on the ship's hull are covered with debris.  There are a handful of crew who are certified divers and one of the main ones who dove often to keep this area clean just left.  A few weeks ago, I told his dive buddy that I was an experienced diver and would love to go down if they needed help.  We were not only on  a mission to clear the intakes, but also to potentially rescue 30 jars of honey that had fallen off a pallet that broke while unloading a shipment.  The water between the ship and the dock is so cluttered with plastic bags, shoes, containers, and general muck that I decided I could not make eye contact with anything other than my dive buddy and my gear if I was going to get through this without barfing.  And the smell was another story.  
Initially, we took on the challenge of trying to get all the intakes clear without lights with zero visability.  We quickly learned that this wasn't going to happen, that is was scary, and pretty much a waste of good air.  We weren't able to clear the starboard sides' intakes due to the visibility, so we dove underneath the ship by descending and feeling the bilge along the way.  We were able to clear the port sides' intakes using screwdrivers.... the small holes were covered with plastic bags and barnacles- it was easy to see why nothing was getting through.  Long story not exactly short- the other intakes eventually got cleared when some lighting became accessible.... and on a different dive later in the week, a couple of divers went back down and became honey heros, retrieving 18 jars.  

    Me and Ollie, happy to be out of the trash pit


Tracy swimming through garbage

No comments: